Full Council Remote Meeting Minutes 07.09.2020

  • by

Minutes


Cllr Maggie Clamp Cllr Matthew Douglas Cllr Lorraine Foster Cllr Tracy James  
Cllr Gillian Dunn Cllr Diane Farthing
Cllr David Graham Cllr Harry Curtis  
Cllr Anne McLeod   Cllr Alice Tomlinson Cllr Sonal Modhvadia (from 7.10pm) Cllr Phil Thomas                          
   
Cllr Josephine Spencer (PC Chairman), Cllr Sue Clegg (PC Vice Chairman)

Also present: Jacki Grice (Parish Clerk), Jacquie Earp (Admin), Lisa Simpson (Hall Manager), Sally Horn (Accounts Clerk), Cllrs Roger Upton, Abby Brennan and Neil Clarke (Rushcliffe Borough Council)

  1. Apologies for Absence

None received.

  • Declarations of Interest

There were no declarations of interest.

  • Minutes of the Full Council Extraordinary Remote Meeting held on 17th August 2020 for Approval

Resolved: “That the minutes were approved as an accurate record and will be signed by the Chairman 
      at the next available meeting save for the following amendment”

  • M.31 should read “and there are NO exclusive rights to use the area.”
  • Chairman’s Announcements
  • New PC Cllr Phil Thomas and PC Admin Assistant Jacquie Earp were welcomed to tonight’s Zoom meeting.
  • The PC are pleased to have recently appointed a new Groundsman, who will be working on a part-time basis.
  • The ‘virtual’ Village Show has taken place. It has been a fantastic success and residents have embraced its format. Many thanks and congratulations go to Hall Manager Lisa Simpson who worked very hard organising the event. Lisa will be challenged further in arranging 80 follow up Social Media posts for the participants of the show.  
  • There has been information posted on Social Media for a Consultation on a 20mph speed limit through Radcliffe. This was agreed and supported by the PC at a meeting on the 27th July.
  • Cllrs were made aware that the Chairman believes her email account has been hacked as emails had been sent to Cllrs inviting them to meet up with the Chairman without her knowledge.
  • Clerks Report on Previous Minutes

M.6 (prev M.12) The Neighbourhood Plan budget will be discussed later in the agenda

M.6 A Publicity and Publications Working Group meeting needs to be arranged and all Cllrs on the Working Group were requested to make a date for this at the end of tonight’s meeting. 

M.10 ‘Radcliffe to the Rescue’ Volunteers have been emailed for confirmation if they still wish to ‘opt in’ to the database. The Clerk and PC have been in constant contact with the Volunteers throughout the pandemic, data is being collected this week and the deadline to opt in is today. Anyone not responding will be removed from the Volunteer list.

M.18 The Greater Nottingham Strategic Plan Consultation response has been submitted to the RBC. MP Ruth Edwards has also requested a copy of the PC response for collation.

M.23 The PC has submitted an application to the RBC Community Tree Scheme for 10 new trees to be sited at the Lily Ponds area. The Chairman also urged all Cllrs to apply for trees so they can be planted elsewhere throughout the Parish as it was also noted RBC are still offering two trees per Rushcliffe resident.

                                                                                                                                                                                        

M.32 The Gazebo Working Group have met and are still considering all options for the Grange Grounds.

                M.13 The Clerk also confirmed members had not put forward any capital expense proposals for next

               years budget via the Committee Chairs as yet.

  • Open Session for Members of the Public to Raise Matters of Council Business, Limited to 15 Minutes

There were no comments.
                             
                                                                                               

  • Planning & Environment

Applications: To Consider as per the attached list

It was Resolved: “The applications received were reviewed and the decisions taken as outlined on the

attached document.”

  • RBC Planning Decisions: To Note

It was Resolved: “Noted”       

  • Amenities

Hall Managers Report

              Has been working hard with the Clerk to re-introduce regular users back to the Grange Hall. Hours of

              work have been spent on Covid Risk Assessments and individual Hirers Risk Assessments. Following

              these risk assessments, the system is working really well for the returning Hall Users.

              The virtual Village Show was held at the weekend and lots of activities such as Cookery, Knitting and
              Circus Skills took place on Saturday. At 8.45am on Sunday local MP Ruth Edwards opened the Show
              with a video and the local Brass Band played. Over 160 people entered various competitions, which was
              a really good turnout for the Virtual Show.

              The Chairman of Amenities, Cllr Alice Tomlinson thanked the Hall Manager for all her work on the Virtual

              Village Show event and also thanked the Clerk and the Hall Manager very much for all their Risk

               Assessment work leading up to the re-opening of the Grange Hall.  

  1. Grange Hall Temporary Pricing Structure Proposal (In response to the Impact of Covid 19)

The Working Group have met and the proposal regarding the (temporary) Grange Hall Pricing Structure (dated 19 Aug 2020) in response to the Covid 19 Impact was discussed. Some Groups have returned to the Hall including Slimming World and the Caterpillar Group and others now wish to return. One returning Group have only made £4 in one session after hire charges so it was proposed that hirer’s costs are now lowered to enable them to return and carry on with their business whilst the attendee capacity is limited.

Hall Hirers may be lost all together if they cannot afford to return and their businesses may be lost. The PC have recently accepted a £25,000 Govt grant via the RBC for loss of income for the Hall and so it was suggested a discount is now passed onto local groups who are regular Hall users, to help run their businesses for September, October and November 2020. It was also suggested that larger groups using smaller Grange rooms be allowed to accommodate the larger Grange Hall instead. More regular cleaning is required for the rooms that are used. Guidelines will be looked into for multi room occupancy.

It was Resolved: “The PC approved the recommendations of the Budget Working Group for the next 3 months to be reviewed in November, save for point 6: that the new lower rates will be offered from 9am to 10pm, Monday to Friday for the whole booking. The new rates to be backdated to August for the regular users.”             

  1. Radcooks: Christmas Day

Information has not yet been received, deferred to a future Agenda when the full proposal is received from Radcooks.                 

  1. Pop Up Trading Wharf Lane

The PC have been approached by a Trader to site a Refreshments Van at Wharf Lane. A discussion then took place raising the following points:

There is a definite user need for services at Wharf Lane, so this will be a test opportunity for the PC and trader.

It is the preference of the PC that the trader van be sited on a hard standing car park space as there is still some grass re-seeding to do around the area of the Skatepark.           

There were concerns regarding promotion and it was noted only the Grange Hall has a Facebook page. The Parish Council will not be providing promotion as part of the arrangement at present, the Press and Publicity Working Group to meet to discuss and clarify future Social Media Policy.

Confirmation of charges and siting of the trader van are also required.

Trading dates to be controlled by the PC office.

The trader should control all generated customer waste and take away at the end of the day’s trading.           

If there is a space available, other businesses may have an opportunity to trade. This will be monitored as the car park is often very full particularly at weekends.

This facility will be on a three month trial and the PC will make it known that this is being trialled via the ROTPC website as other traders may be interested.      

It was Resolved: “PC will allow one hard standing parking space for a Pop Up Trader for a trial period of 3 months at a cost of £25 per trading session. The Trader to provide all necessary trading and H&S documentation.”   

  1. Grange Grounds Drive Posts: To Consider Boulders for Corner 3 Posts

Three posts at the top of the Grange Grounds are frequently being knocked down by car drivers. This has become an issue as the PC are replacing posts every few weeks or so. There are five posts in total in this area outside the Hall Managers office and it was suggested that all five posts are replaced by boulders or potentially replacement of the all posts. The cost of replacement boulders are not yet known, and it was Resolved: “That the Clerk’s Office make further investigations to find out the cost of replacement boulders and bring to a future meeting.”

  1. Finance and General Purposes

To Elect a Vice Chair

Deferred until a nominee is put forward.

  1. Income and Expenditure Figures and Payments July 2020

The Govt £25,000 discretionary grant via RBC was not yet shown as it was received in August 2020. In the payments listing it was noted a £1500 Hall Gas Bill for 3 months appeared excessively high. It was confirmed the bill was estimated and its total had already been challenged. The PC have now received a credit note, however further enquiries will be made regarding the tariff and supply. Another large payment listing was for the purchase of the new Grange Play equipment, which has been very well received by village residents.

The Income and Expenditure Figures and Payments July were accepted pending further investigation of the latest quarter Grange Hall Gas Bill.  

  1. Rolling Budget No.2 Covid:          

To Note RBC Discretionary Grant of £25k Received

Noted. A request had been made for a ‘Loss of Income’ Grant at the start of the Covid pandemic, however the grant was not eligible at the time and the deadlines had passed for this. A recent change to NALC and Government guidelines has meant that the original PC application has been honoured and a £25,000 discretionary grant has been received. This grant will be retained as a contingency and potential to reinstate original budget items and not be treated as a windfall. Thanks go to RBC Cllrs the Clerk and Sally Horn for all their hard work in obtaining this substantial grant for the PC.  

  1. To Approve Grounds Maintenance Budget for the Culvert Repair

A camera has revealed that there is substantial damage to the culvert underneath the football pitch. The area is so badly damaged that the scanning unit cannot be driven through the culvert’s remaining section. The current cost of repairs to the PC is £2,845 but as investigations have proved, the whole area of the culvert is compromised and there is potential that future repair costs could run into thousands of pounds. It is believed that is not the sole responsibility of the PC to maintain the culvert and it is the view of the PC that other organisations i.e. NCC, STW and the Environmental Agency should be involved in the

160/20

drainage culvert maintenance. It was therefore suggested that a formal meeting is called between the PC, Cllr Cutts and NCC Officers to discuss the best way forward.   

                It was Resolved: “The PC approved that £2.845 repair costs to the Culvert be allocated to the Grounds
              Maintenance Budget.”

  1. To Approve Reintroduction of Neighbourhood Plan  Budget for Continuation of Review

Noted. It was Resolved: “Following the £25,000 discretionary grant received, the PC will reintroduce the Neighbourhood Plan Budget to accommodate £1,600 for the Continuation of Review”

  1. Roadworks Bulletins

H.E. – A52 Nottingham Junctions: Survey Works – Gamston, Bingham and Stragglethorpe Junctions

Noted.

  • VIA/NCC Carriageway Resurfacing: Woodside Road/Covert Crescent

Noted.

        21  Correspondence

NCC 20mph Consultation for Centre of the Village

It was noted that details and information regarding this Consultation are now available on the ROTPC website from today.

  • Radcliffe Conservation Group

A Radcliffe Conservation Volunteer is disappointed with views of the PC, that the Slack Hollow fence entrance should not be widened to enable access for a brush cutting machine down to the Lily Ponds. The Clerk advised that three Councillors would need to request reconsideration of this item to be considered again within 6 months of the original resolution.

 23  Councillors and Outside Organisations Reports

                RBC Cllr Roger Upton:

  • The time deadline for the RBC Community Tree Scheme applications is 30th September 2020. The application form is available online via the RBC Website.
  • There is a virtual RBC Cabinet meeting tomorrow 8th September at 7pm and a Radcliffe Growth Board meeting on the 17th September at 2pm.
  • There are potentially the biggest changes to the Planning process since WW2. The Government have introduced a Primary Legislation White Paper very quickly:  ‘Planning for The Future’. There is a 12 week consultation period, ending the 29th October.  This involves proposals to radically change the Local Plan, the methodology and process of Planning Applications, Development Contributions (CIL / Infrastructure Levy) and explanations of S.106 applications. Cllrs are strongly advised to look at this White Paper document.
  • Other changes under Non Primary Legislation is for ‘Changes to the Current Planning System’ and the consultation period for this ends on the 1st October. This proposal deals with the methodology of local government for ‘Local Housing Needs.’ Cllr Upton will be chairing the development for the local Borough Council on the 30th September. The RBC will have major discussions and work to do on all the new changes to the planning process. Both papers are available to view on the RBC or UK Government Planning website.
  • The Government also propose to place the whole of the UK into three zones. These are Growth, Renewal and Protection. Rushcliffe will become part of a digital map and will be covered under these three areas. 

Cllr Thomas referred to the Planning Changes and was concerned that the new proposed single Infrastructure Levy will replace S106 and Community Infrastructure payments. Currently the PC would benefit from some CIL payment, however this benefit may disappear under this proposal. Under the Consultation period up until the 29th October, the PC should convene a Planning Working Group meeting in order to put their views forward. Another concern is that recalculating the methodology for Housing figures would potentially mean new housing in Rushcliffe would almost double in size.

Cllr Upton confirmed this is correct and that Rushcliffe is deemed by the Government to have high land prices and in relation to the average mean of residents, requires more affordable homes. This is a 75% increase on Rushcliffe Housing figures and the consultation for the methodology ends on the 30th September.

The PC Chairman is of the view that the Planning Working Group should meet up very quickly to discuss.   

                Cllr Upton also confirmed it is an open consultation and an invitation for all PC’s to respond. Cllrs who

wish to be involved in the Working Group meeting will stay at the end of tonight’s meeting to arrange a date.

                RBC Cllr Abby Brennan:

  • Referred to the Facebook post regarding the potential 20mph speed restriction for the centre of the village throughout the Covid Pandemic. There appears to be a lot of support and villagers who can see the potential benefit for this speed restriction are enthusiastic to see the time period extended. There were some views that the 20mph restriction would also benefit other parts of the village.   

RBC Cllr Neil Clarke:

  • The Local Government re-organisation debate has been raised again throughout the country. In two weeks’ time the Notts County Council Policy Committee will be submitting a request to the Government to invite proposals for local reorganisation. Other District Councils will be invited to submit their proposals at the same time and until all the proposals are submitted it will be unclear how Councils will operate in the future. Cllr Clarke is of the view that all stakeholders should be asked and contribute towards this debate. Until evidence is submitted, then no informed decisions can be taken. Costs are a major factor but not the only factor in the current Covid climate and it is important that the representations of the staff and parishioners are taken into account and that local services are still delivered efficiently.     

 24  Reports from Borough and County Councillors

  • Cllr Graham thanked the Hall Manager for a ‘Top Job’ and all her hard work on the virtual Village Show.

        The Chairman to move that the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of item 14 on the

        grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in “Section 1(2) of the Public Bodies

       (Admissions to meetings) Act 1960.”

        25  To Accept the Minutes of the Personnel and wages Sub Committee Meeting Held 29.07.2020

              It was Resolved: “That the Personnel and Wages Sub Committee Meeting Held 29.07.2020 are
              accepted.”

        26  Date of Next Full Council Meeting: 21 September 2020, 7pm via Zoom

                There being no further business, the meeting closed at 8.45pm


Planning Decisions

PLANNING DECISIONS CV19 10. (7th September 2020 Remote Meeting)

RBC RefDateApplicantLocationDetailsDecVoteComments
20/01935/TPO12.8.20Brian HayesMerlin, Hillside RoadTrees: T1 (Lime) Pollard group of Limes to approx. 3 metres high. T2 (Lime) Reduce crown to previous pruning points. Remove deadwood. Crown lift over highway.Crown clean to thin. T3 (Lime) Reduce leaning stem to approx. 2m high. T4 (Lime) Reduce multiple Limes stems to previous pruning points, maintaining shape. Crown lift over highway to approx. 5m. Crown clean to open and thin crown. Remove deadwood over 25mm. T5 (Limes) Reduce to previous pruning points maintaining good shape. Remove deadwood over 25mm.DNOunanRefer to RBC Tree Officer
20/01938/FUL14.08.20Jessica Richards37 Chatsworth AvenueSingle storey rear extensionDNOunan 
20/02009/FUL25.08.20Martin Cross3 Rushcliffe AvenueErection of single storey rear and side extension and external alterations including rendering. New front porch and raised rear patio. New front boundary wall  DNO  unan 
20/01675/FUL27.08.20Paul and Beverley Wolff1 Butler AvenueTo convert existing dwelling into  2 separate dwellings  DNO  unan 

Rushcliffe Borough / County Council Decisions

RefApplicantLocationDetailsP.C DecPC CommentsRBC Dec
20/01487/FULEdward Henderson16 Johns RoadSingle storey side extension and internal alterations; extend raised patio area DNOGrant Permission
20/01424/FULGillian Dunn2 Beech CloseErection of single storey rear extensionF/C
D.O.I
F/C
D.O.I
Grant Permission
20/01454/TPO          Mr Robert Nowicki9 Berkeley CresentTree (Oak) Crown lift to 5m, Crown thin 10% and prune. Reason: Remove dead wood and provide 1.5m clearance from property. Encroaching on property and reducing light to house and gardenDNORefer to Tree OfficerGrant Consent
19/01918/FULMr Cameron Mchugh2 Johns RoadProposed demolition of the existing dwelling and construction of two new three bedroom dwellings fronting Johns Road (semi-detached pair) and two new bedroom dwellings fronting Grantham Road (semi-detached pair) including landscaping and the creation of dropped kerb (resubmission)OBJECT *(See below)Refuse Permission

* OBJECT The Radcliffe on Trent Parish Council OBJECTS to Planning Application 19/01918/FUL (resubmission) on the previous grounds that it contradicts the Neighbourhood Plan: Policy 11: (infill development) the proposal design and layout does not relate to its existing settlement context and character or respect the existing massing, building form and heights of buildings within the immediate locality. Policy 15: (Local Architectural styles) the proposal is not compatible with the character and identity of the Parish. The Council has concerns regarding traffic generation, air quality and noise, overlooking, over intensive use of site giving a general negative impact. In addition noting the reconfigured proposed changes to the A52 Bingham Road Junction, the development would be too close causing accessibility issues for residents, building and delivery Lorries. Johns Road is also very narrow to accommodate such activity